Quality of Life Roundtable
Goal 5 of the 2020 Strategic Plan for the Future, “Enhance the well-being and the quality of life of the people of West Virginia,” emphasizes the central importance of West Virginia University’s land-grant mission and its contributions to the state of West Virginia and its citizens. Three roundtables were created to undertake the implementation of Goal 5. The Economic Well-Being and Engagement roundtable was dedicated to economic development, and the Lifelong Learning roundtable addressed educational access and opportunity to individuals of all ages. The Quality of Life roundtable focused on enhancing the quality of life of West Virginians by addressing health disparities and fostering a rich cultural environment within the state, in response to several of Goal 5’s objectives and actions:
OBJECTIVE 1: Create an academic health system and health professions programs that enhance the well-being of West Virginians.
OBJECTIVE 3: Promote sustainable economic development and a cultural environment that improve the quality of life throughout the state.
ACTION 3: Create a nimble academic health system that is responsive to patient access needs, ensures high quality, cost-effective, and safe care, and delivers patient satisfaction and value.
Since the Strategic Plan was endorsed by the Board of Governors, WVU announced the School of Public Health in the Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center, and conducted a search for an Associate Provost for Engagement and Outreach. These actions directly addressed the Quality of Life goal, and they should be considered in responding to the roundtable charge below.
1. Identify WVU’s major contributions to quality of life in the state, and group these by type or leadership to help with the development of structure and coordination. Catalog any duplication that may need to be addressed in the future.
- Should WVU’s current quality of life initiatives be enhanced or coordinated?
- Would current initiatives benefit from interdisciplinary collaboration?
2. Consider whether there are additional ways to advance the quality of life of West Virginians.
- Do these areas present an opportunity to acquire new resources and to expand WVU’s impact on the quality of life in the state?
3. Evaluate the initiatives identified in (1) and (2) to determine how the institution may have the greatest impact on quality of life in the state given limited resources.
- Should any resources, fiscal, human, or structural, be repurposed to the greater good or to increase efficiency and benefit?
4. Consider the best ways to articulate and communicate University successes and initiatives to the administration, legislature, and public.