To advance Goal 2 of West Virginia University’s 2020 Strategic Plan for the Future, “Excel in research, creative activity, and innovation in all disciplines,” we must achieve the following three objectives for research:
OBJECTIVE 1: Increase scholarly activity and research that addresses the challenges faced by the state of West Virginia, the nation, and the world.
OBJECTIVE 2: Improve and expand graduate education and strengthen its connection to the University’s research enterprise.
OBJECTIVE 3: Encourage interdisciplinary activity in research, scholarship, and creativity.
The Research Roundtable was created to open lines of communication between administrators who govern research practice, research resources, and graduate education at the institution.
- Establish an effective infrastructure and excellent practices that facilitate the pursuit of research, including interdisciplinary research.
- Identify initiatives and fertile research areas that align with the goals of the strategic plan and West Virginia University’s strengths.
- Ensure that the research mission is appropriately engaged with graduate and professional education, undergraduate research, global endeavors,* and economic development.*
- Create a permanent leadership structure to replace the Research Roundtable, or determine that the Roundtable should continue to provide leadership.
- Propose a five-year path to success, with a well-defined implementation plan and clear metrics to measure progress.
- Separate roundtables are addressing or will address these issues.